Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Do they come right to your door for pickup?

Discussion in 'Uber Riders Forum' started by ScreamingMimi, Jul 15, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I've never used Uber before. I'm not sure how pick up works? I live in a mobile home with open access. Do they come right to my unit? When do I let them know what number since it only shows my street address.

If I'm being picked up at a building with more than one door, how do I know which door they will pick me up from?

Can someone dumb it down for me? Thanks. yes I know I'm dumb.

2. Vlad V

Vlad V
    Expand Collapse

United States
    you have to be in front of the building of your pick up address and flag the driver down. makes an easier pick up specially around busy areas. it helps to txt or call the driver ahead of time and let them know exactly of your pick up location.

3. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    So I get a text from my driver and I can tell him where to pick me up? I am disabled and live in a mobile home. No way could I walk to the street.

How do you know who your driver is? Do they have a big Uber sign on their door?

Thanks.

4. Vlad V

Vlad V
    Expand Collapse

United States
    you can see from your app the picture and license plate of the car who will pick you up. the car will have a black Uber logo on the front right side of the dash. the app will allow you to call your driver ahead of time and tell him of your situation. if I was your driver, I'll be more than happy to help you out to get in and out of the vehicle

5. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    @Vlad. Thanks for the info. I'm ambulatory I just can't be walking all over the place to find my ride.

As long as I can text the driver and tell him to pick me up right in front of my home vs outside the mobile home park on the street then I'll be good.

6. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    perhaps consider phoning the driver. It is much easier for the driver, otherwise he/she has to stop and read the message

7. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Will do! Thanks.

8. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber (and no, I am not an employee of Uber or "plant," on this or any other forum, and other than a contractor/driver and occasional passenger/customer, I have absolutely no affiliation with Uber) but here's my $.02....
    AGREED 100%! It is much easier for me to talk on the phone (I use a bluetooth earpiece) than to open and read a text message while driving (texting while driving is illegal in my state and many others).

I'm not sure whether or not it's legal to read/respond to a text while stopped at a stop sign or red light, but if there's ever any confusion about pickup location, I would rather talk to the passenger directly.

$.02
    MHD

9. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I totally get what you are saying. Sometimes talking can be a challenge for me. In fact if I never have to talk I'd be happy. But ensuring an easy ride is worth it.

Let me toss this out? What if you have a fare who is deaf?

10. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber (and no, I am not an employee of Uber or "plant," on this or any other forum, and other than a contractor/driver and occasional passenger/customer, I have absolutely no affiliation with Uber) but here's my $.02....
    First off, welcome to Uber!. 99% of the partners/drivers want to have passengers who will do what is necessary to get the car to the exact location, especially in a mobile home park, large apartment complex, etc.

Within the rider app, under Profile, you can preset your home address by tapping "Add Home." Enter your street address along with your space number, like,"1234 Main Street [do NOT put comma after street name] 567, Mycity, ST, 00000" and press the Search icon. The system will confirm your address (in Google Maps or other system) via the street number/city/st/zip info and then save the entire address, including your space, under the "Home" label.

When you're ready to be picked up, open/sign into the rider app. Tap on the box that says "Pickup Location," and type Home and request your ride. The GPS on the driver's phone should pick up the street address and the pickup location conveyed to the driver should give your street address and your space. If you do that and ride with me, I will give you SIX STARS!
    You are only "dumb" if you don't ask how to do something you don't know how to do.
    $.02
    MHD

#10 MileHighDriver, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  11. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    It will not let me add my space number. It only brings up the street address or the name of my mobile home park.

I just tried to edit it and 1. won't let me add the space number and 2. now won't even find the name of the park.

And it brought up a completely different home address which I never entered and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

I had to log out and log back in for it to recognize the park name. But no way to add the space number.

12. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure I've had some who may have been hard of hearing or completely deaf. I tell them via text that I'll lean on my horn when I get to their pickup location.... :D

I have had some who are blind (enough to be using white canes). I'll help them to the car, getting them past the open door, etc. and help them out of the car if necessary.
    $.02
    MHD

13. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

Try entering this: "Street number #99999, city, ST 00000"
    I just tried that format (using # sign) for a mobile home park near me and it saved it correctly.

You probably should leave the park name out as the display on driver app is somewhat limited...
    MHD

14. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

Just tried it putting in a dummy number (#99999) after my home street (before the comma where my city is entered), it saved. I logged onto the driver app and requested a ride, which came to me on the driver app. the address displayed was my home address with "#99999".
    Hope that helps
    (sorry, this isn't worth $.02)
    MHD

15. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Ok. I was able to change my home in settings using the # in front of my space number. but it is still showing the name of the park as my pick up location.

And now I just moved my phone and it put in a completely different pick up location. I am not there, and I don't know how to remove it except to log out.

How do I change that to home? How do I get my address to show as pickup location?

16. Throckmorton Subterfuge

Throckmorton Subterfuge
    Expand Collapse

United States
    POST #1206/@ScreamingMimi:
    "Ahoy!" and Welcome to the
    Uber Forum.com.

@MileHighDriver
    ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ for Your Altruistic
    Mentoring. Well Done !

MileHighDriver likes this.
  17. ScreamingMimi

ScreamingMimi
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Yes. Thanks to all. Everyone has been really helpful.

MileHighDriver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted