Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Do Uber drivers have car seats for passengers with small children?

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Juanda, May 31, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Juanda

Juanda
    Expand Collapse

Do Uber drivers have car seats for passengers with small children? :confused:

2. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    no you would have to contact the driver regarding that but few would carry them.
    Can you provide your own?

3. Lynne Baltzer

Lynne Baltzer
    Expand Collapse

I think they should put something on the app so that the rider can request a driver with car seats. I'm a driver and do carry car seats which came in handy with my last rider who had 3 children so I would highly recommend that be put on the app.

TheActualLiz likes this.
  4. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    It's tough to carry around child seats and boosters in a sedan. Sounds like you have an SUV or something big.

Are used to carry around the seat but a lawyer once asked me Uber provided the option for riders to request a child seat and trained me how to fit the seat and strap in a child correctly.

"No, but having three kids between four and eight I've had a lot of experience in doing that" I replied.

"So you are happy to take on all this added risk, on behalf of a stranger who's lawyer will sue your ass if the child gets hurt"?

"And on top of that Uber can walk away from any liability because of The partners agreement you signed to, and their dispatch didn't request a childseat, and doesn't cater for Kiddies."

Even though it hurt my parental feelings immensely by refusing families with kids under seven, I feel a lot more secure because my children won't suffer financial hardship by me being sued in the event something went terribly wrong.

EDIT: furthermore all the time that you take in fitting and removing the seat for the surprise child passenger you won't get compensated for. Tight ass passengers just forget the extra time and effort that goes into providing them

Like @Dobie Gillis says, "the first rule of being a successful IC is "ABC" - always be compensated"

#4 Uber Downunder, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    TheActualLiz and Harry Flashman like this.
  5. Lynne Baltzer

Lynne Baltzer
    Expand Collapse

Well I am a trained child passenger safety tech and always have seats.

TheActualLiz likes this.
  6. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    do you have enough space for luggage in the event of an airport run?

7. Lynne Baltzer

Lynne Baltzer
    Expand Collapse

Yes but I don't go to the airport.

8. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I don't carry child seats; if a passenger want to transport a child that would normally be in a child seat, the passenger should provide the seat; I will help secure the seat in my car but would not assist in securing the child into the car seat. I'd have to have a bunch of car seats to potentially accommodate all sizes of kids, from rear-facing seats for infants to "booster" seats for the 4-5yo. So much for luggage space in my trunk.

And just for the record, I've never been asked if I had a child seat, nor have I ever had a child requiring a seat ride (with parents, of course) in my car.
    MHD

9. mblatch

mblatch
    Expand Collapse

It all depends on the driver. If you want to make sure, contact the driver.

Very good drivers will carry phone chargers, water, or other items to make the ride enjoyable. This may go away fairly quickly as driver margins decrease.

TheActualLiz likes this.
  10. kellygoodlad

kellygoodlad
    Expand Collapse

Canada
    I would, but I am concerned that I will get 3 people going to the airport, and need my trunk for suitcases. I mean, that's rare, but it's equally rare to get a child passenger (for me, anyway, as I drive mostly when kids are at school). I am not sure what you do. I am also not sure of the law, since cabbies for sure don't have car seats anyway, so...

TheActualLiz likes this.
  11. TheActualLiz

TheActualLiz
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I sometimes have one in my trunk, but only because I need it for my own kid when I'm not driving for Uber. Only used it for an Uber passenger once in the month or so since I started.

For comparison, passengers request trunk space (luggage, shopping bags, etc) at least 3 to 4 times per night.

I'm a mother, and I remember how hard it was to get stuff done when I didn't have a car. So I do have tremendous sympathy for other parents in that position. Saying "no" to a fellow parent breaks my heart.

But at the same time, I have to feed my kid. Which is why I must respond to the demands of the market. And carrying around a car seat costs the driver profit potential.

12. O.C. Audi

O.C. Audi
    Expand Collapse

YES , they have too its the law in California and if you allow them to ride in your car without one your liable for everything if you get into an accident-NOT UBER.

13. O.C. Audi

O.C. Audi
    Expand Collapse

I like what you posted about car seats. I carry 1 size fits all for kids 1-4yrs but i didnt think about new borns and rear facing seats. Space is limited so I keep it in position all time and remove it if I need seat for adult rider.

14. Calvin Frit

Calvin Frit
    Expand Collapse

It really depends which city are you own and if they are strict with the law when having car seats for small children, you can always make a note during booking a driver that you are bringing a child with you

Draft saved Draft deleted