Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 3,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Driver (lack) of control over pickups

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by vicmorrowshead, Jul 6, 2016.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. vicmorrowshead

vicmorrowshead
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I am new, have driven only a few passengers at this point. I am trying to figure out how to handle special driving circumstances that will come up.

If I happen to be in Orlando, for example which is about 3 hours from my home town and I'm ready to head home in, say, the next couple of hours. How can I instruct the driver app to only pick-up passengers that are interested in travel somewhere on the way (or in) my home town? In other words, be invisible to riders who are not going in the direction that I need to go.

Thanks for your help.

A side question: I was online for over three hours, had 4 rides and made about $16.00. Is it actually possible to make more than $200/week without driving 10 hours a day? Unemployment seems to pay more and certainly is less wear and tear on my car. What really is the advantage of being a driver for Uber?

2. akajime

akajime
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I am also a new driver - I have tried to find any way to get software suggestions to Uber with no avail. My thought are the same as yours after a few days of driving:

There are three situations where I believe that a software update would increase the number of riders serviced and the potential income of drivers.

1. Some drivers work Uber as a second job - evenings or weekends - what if drivers could serve riders on their commute into work or on their way home?

2. I am taking a day trip to a destination but would like to serve riders and make some income.

3. Drivers work all day driving and find themselves on the far side of the city at the end of their day and want to head home - how can the continue to serve riders and still get home on time?

The idea is driver pool - based on Uber rider pool.

Have in the Driver app a place to enter a home address, work address and an other destination address. I would tick off a box prior going online: X Work - or X Other to tell the app I am in Driver Pool Mode.

1. When I am driving to work each day I would pick up riders going my way within a reasonable destination local near where I work - perhaps I would also enter the time I need to be done to be on time to work on time. When leaving work I would tick off X: Home and would serve riders along my commute home.

2. I am going on a day trip an am willing to pick up riders along the way - My final destination plus or minus 5 miles (maybe this is driver defined) is what I am willing to serve riders along the way. - I may have someone with me on the trip (wife or friend) so I need to enter that as a value - My car can hold 4 passengers - so with a friend (1) I can pool 3 additional riders.

3. The final tick box would be X Home - It is the end of my shift and I want to head home and I am on the far side of the city. My option now is to go off line because I don't want a fare that takes me farther away from home. The fix is Driver pool - near the end of my shift I would tick off X: home and Driver pool would give me fares that would have drop offs along my way home. Many times I go off line because I am 30 miles from home and it is the end of the day for me; these are wasted miles that could be captured to serve riders.

These improvements would increase the value of your driver pool in that it would allow you increase the number of riders you could serve with your existing driver base and would be of value to you driver to increase their income potential.

3. Uber_Rat

Uber_Rat
    Expand Collapse

What you're both discussing here already exists within the Uber app in some locations. Read this blog:
    https://www.uber.com/info/behind-the-wheel/

I live in Western MA, but I work in CT. CT has the destinations function, but MA does not. So, on my way home from work I can set my home location in the Uber app and go online to only get trip requests that are going in the same direction I am.

As to the question of how much money you can make with Uber, it all depends on time and location. If you're going out driving at prime ride times you'll make plenty of money. I wouldn't drive 3 hours to go online with Uber. It's just not worth the money unless you're pulling in some extreme surge trips.

4. akajime

akajime
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Thanks for the update - It seems that a feature like that is so important to so many drivers (my final fare the other day was 60 miles away from home and I had to go off line so I could get home). It a shame that they can't roll it out in a more timely fashion!

5. Claimbuster

Claimbuster
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Lately, when I go out during my evening hours, at best I'm getting 1-2 rides. That's down from 10-12. Under this current situation, I'm not paying for my gasoline. I'm suspecting, that UBER has signed on a bunch of new drivers. I'm going to hang it up. I can sit home and not put miles on my car and make nothing.

6. Alman

Alman
    Expand Collapse

United States
    In the u.s. some states have a tab to click on that says going home. So only riders going your direction will show up on your request trip...should be everywhere soon

7. Calvin Frit

Calvin Frit
    Expand Collapse

For some, it they make UBER driving it as their part-time job just to see if they can really earn from it and make it full time, better test the system first, as their will be more UBER drivers signing up, competition will be tough in the future.

8. AdsUber

AdsUber
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I may have a solution for Uber drivers who want to earn more while still doing the job they want. Check it out!
    Check out AdsUber Help a driver and help your business grow! on #indiegogo!
    http://igg.me/at/AdsUber

Draft saved Draft deleted