Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Extremely high fees in NYC Suburbs / uber support not answering my question

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Beeps85, Jul 17, 2017.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Beeps85

Beeps85
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Are there any other "NYC Suburbs" drivers here? Uber recently became legal in all of NYS and I'm based out of Beacon in Dutchess County, roughly 75-85 minutes north of NYC. I've done 4 rides so far and I've found the uber fees to be extremely high; in the 4 trips I've done so far, I've only received 55% of the what the rider paid. $31.08 I received; $56.09 is what the riders have paid. With Lyft, these fees are only 25%. I've attached a receipt of one my shorter trips(I had 2 that was essentially the same length and same pay[3.66]).

I don't know if this is normal or not for a new city, but it's really deterring me to drive with uber. Additionally, if I try to visit the "Fares" section in my uber account, I receive an error that I've attached a screenshot of. It tells me, "Note: You’ve selected an ineligible vehicle or city. Please select a different registered vehicle or city to see your rates." Unfortunately I'm not allowed to select any other city or vehicle; I'm only given NYC Suburbs as the city; and my vehicle as the only registered vehicle in the list. There's nothing in the "Select Product" field. This seems strange, as uber is indeed legal here and I've done 4 drives. Why would my area be invalid?

I tried contacting uber support about this, and they've been less than helpful. They keep telling me the issue is on my end, and have told me numerous times to restart my computer, my phone, to reinstall the app, that it's an issue with my networking settings. I'm not sure if there's actually people reading my messages or if they're bots, but so far they haven't helped me at all. And the only thing I was told about the fares was that if the fares went up in my city, they would notify me about them.

I don't know where else to go at this point. I'm extremely discouraged about my uber experience so far and I've been driving with them less than a week. As it stands, there are few drivers in my area and I've had to drive 10-15 minutes twice for a $3.66 fare. I know there will be growing pains with it being implemented in new areas and I don't expect every drive to be second from where i sit, but if the fares were at least matching lyft, then I can't complain too much. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Attached Files:

2. Tony Quart

Tony Quart
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Still waiting mods to answer this.

3. Beeps85

Beeps85
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I hope they can, because at this point I'm no longer to drive with uber. Their customer support can't give me a straight answer about anything and 25% fees with Lyft vs 40-50% fees with Uber...it's not even a question.

4. craiggus365

craiggus365
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Giving a strong case for Lyft and maybe that is good advice for us 'new to this hustle.'
    Thanks Beeps85

5. Beeps85

Beeps85
    Expand Collapse

United States
    No one can answer me. I've contacted uber's twitter profile and they told me "to reach out here"(their website, once again). So I asked them the question again and they told me the same answer about the fares, never fully answering on why their fees are so much more than lyft's. I've all but given up driving with uber, only using them if I'm out and coming home. I'll use the destination mode to possibly snag a ride on my way home.

6. craiggus365

craiggus365
    Expand Collapse

United States
    One thing I have learned in my 44 years, persistence pays off, and whatever way you decide to go your drive will earn you the most. You tried all avenues of contact and if that's the way it is then do what you do and use it as a backup.
    I only applied to give me and my family more flexibility on big expenses, I live all year at the Jersey Shore and would love to benefit...BUT I'm stuck onboarding. No contact and I feel you. Ding me or accept me...just give me the F-in answer.
    Best luck
    CAT

Draft saved Draft deleted