Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Google is launching a ridesharing app, skirting the legal minefields of Uber

Discussion in 'General Rideshare Forum' started by Dreamer, Jul 8, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Dreamer

Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Google is jumping into the ridesharing market with a new carpooling service, RideWith, launched this week by Israeli mapping company Waze. The mapping startup, which Google purchased for $1.1 billion in 2013, is doing a test launch of the ride-sharing service in Israel.

The news follows longstanding rumors that Google would at some point upend the transportation industry with a fleet of self-driving cars. RideWith takes a different tack, recruiting work commuters who want to earn some cash by picking up other commuters on their way to work. In theory, the emphasis on non-professional drivers distinguishes the project from ride-hailing services like Uber, Lyft, or Gett, since drivers and passengers are limited to commuters for a maximum of two rides a day. It should also benefit from more driving data than other car-sharing apps like France’s BlaBlaCar, which bought German carpooling app Carpooling and grew rapidly this year. Its driver intel will be used to pair up drivers and riders taking the same route, according to Reuters (via Arstechnica).

Riders will pay a suggested fee, suggested by Waze,based on the length of the trip and the automobile maintenance cost in Israel and calculated by Israeli information technology company Heshev. The carpoolers can use the suggested price to negotiate the fee of the ride, from which Google takes a 15% cut.

Should Google eventually decide to take the service to other countries, the model would potentially avoid the legal battles faced by near competitors like Uber, which is mired in disputes with taxi industries around the world. Uber’s director (paywall) of French operations and its director of Western Europe currently face charges for running UberPOP as an illegal taxi service, which could land them multi year sentences and shut down the country’s UberPOP operations. The arrests follow massive, violent riots by French taxi drivers in June against Uber and other ride-sharing programs. South Korea’s government shut down the Uber app and charged its CEO and other Uber employees for running an illegal tax services, while a German court ruled in March that UberPOP was illegal.

More..

2. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

The next invention: The car that can fly. Then we call all live like the Jetsons.

3. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    And i can fly over the water and visit. Although refuelling could be a problem.

4. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Seriously though, that ridewith sounds like a reasonable idea, much more like true ride sharing,

5. Throckmorton Subterfuge

Throckmorton Subterfuge
    Expand Collapse

United States
    This reminds "TwoSheds" to im-
    port a NewsLink viewed previ-
    ously on PRK.net. Naturally, its
    an Offering provided by St. Com-
    ity of Chicago, who sent his best
    to You, in a Recent Phone Convo

He stated "being familiar" with
    You via FB or other Soc.Media
    prior to the Rise of KimJungUn.

6. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Well thats surprising, seeing he was the reason i got booted out of north korea in the first place.... unless of course he's just gloating, and as for being familiar with me thats not true.

7. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Chiabby is the emperor of north korea

8. Throckmorton Subterfuge

Throckmorton Subterfuge
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Milady, with respect, he remembers Prior Social Media
    that IDed You. Why worry ?
    He even encouraged approach-
    ing respectfully, as Admim. did
    to me as I tried to Negotiate for
    Everyone's Return.

9. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    Thank you Throckmorton for acting on our behalf.
    however as far as i am concerned North Korea is somewhere I Do not care post anymore, i feel that a certain senior member and addypoo can no longer be impartial so I can no longer be a contributor there as Jasper Speedicut has shown.

But throckton you are an astute peacemaker and are always greeted with friendship and honour

10. UL Driver SF

UL Driver SF
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Yea....this is a great idea....until it comes time to negotiate the fare. Waze is going to suggest a fare amount? Based on...? So what's the fare on a nice morning as opposed to a rain soaked winter storm? When will this negotiation take place? In person? Through the app...as in setting what your price is and they accept or reject? Can other drivers see what you are requiring?

This will be interesting to watch.

11. Chi1Abbie

Chi1Abbie
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I'm sure if you ask the bison, he'll have the best answer. Because he's the bison.

Draft saved Draft deleted