Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

How to call using UBER app on Tablet?

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Chad, May 29, 2017.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Chad

Chad
    Expand Collapse

Canada
    When I press the call button on the UBER App Skype opens and nothing happens. Help!
    I have the UBER App installed on a tablet.

Calling using the voice feature of my car is too slow.
    Currently in my City UBER has an overwhelming number of proxy numbers that I can't keep track of.
    When I first started there was only a few of them and I kept them in my cell phones call history. I would look at the last 4 digits of the number and select it from my call history. The number would usually change a few times in under ten trips. Now it's like it's a different number every call.

I use a cell phone and tablet combo to uber.

I have the cell phone paired with my car. When a rider calls I just touch a button on the car's touch screen or a button on the stearing wheel to answer. The car has a microphone in the ceiling by the lights and I hear them speaking through the car speakers instead of my phone. No problems there! It's when I'm calling out that it is inefficient.

Currently when I need to call a rider I look up their number on the contact menu in settings. and I press the voice call button on the steering wheel and say, "call 1.2.3.4.5.6.7 etc". Then I wait a second for the car to say, "would you like to call 1.2.3.4.5.6.7". I check that the number is correct and press call. This is okay when I'm in a drive way or I'm pulled over...

...But when I pick up people amongst mobs of people or at a busy venue crowded with people /and/ cars I need to be able to call them quick.

I do like the tablet. It's cheeper on the Data and the screen is 8 inches. The large screen makes it so I don't have to be zooming in and out on the screen. The riders love it too. Some of them like to watch it and follow me as I follow it. So using the Uber app on a phone instead of my tablet is out.

So I need to figure out how to get skype or some other app to work with my tablet to call out with the press of the call button.

2. Uber_Rat

Uber_Rat
    Expand Collapse

Google voice is one method. Basically, you need an app for dialing on your tablet. Typically, tablets are not used for making phone calls and thus, don't have a dialer set up to handle calls. You could also try Hangouts.

This is all based on having an Android based tablet. If you have an iOS based tablet you'll have to ask someone who uses Apple products.

3. Chad

Chad
    Expand Collapse

Canada
    Thank you UberRat, I'll look into Google Voice. I am impressed with Google. I love their Google Goggles for reading QR codes, their google search engine, and their google maps for when I'm driving UBER or for my myself.Yes I'm using an Android cellular phone.

I have Skype for dialing on the tablet. I've managed to get one step further. You know how I was saying that when I press the call button skype loads up and nothing happens? Well I enabled all the permissions for the UBER Driver App and Skype. I also gave both Apps read & write permissions to the system. Now when I press the call button in the UBER App while during a trip a skype menu appears in the UBER app tab and the Ghost phone number gets copied over to Skype and I can press a call button on Skype to call it. There's still a catch. When I call that number I get a voice message from UBER saying to enter my cellular phone number that I used to sign up with UBER and then press #. However it does work. If I enter my celluar phone number correctly and press pound it calls the rider. I tested this in the UBER office with an UBER EXPERT employee. She went online and requested a trip to across the city in the UBER Rider app.I went online in the Uber Driver App and requested a Destination trip across the city for the same address that she entered as her destination.

4. Uber_Rat

Uber_Rat
    Expand Collapse

With the Hangouts dialer app you can set your phone number to be the caller ID in the app. That should take care of your problem with the voice message.

5. Chad

Chad
    Expand Collapse

Canada
    Thank you Uber_Rat. I have set skype's caller ID for my account to the cellular phone that I used to sign up to Uber. It takes 24 hours for that to take effect. I am crossing my fingers!

If that doesn't work I can try the HangOuts dialer you mentioned.

6. Chad

Chad
    Expand Collapse

Canada

It's working!

7. Beawinebosscom

Beawinebosscom
    Expand Collapse

You can use Google for it

Draft saved Draft deleted