Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Lyft vs Uber. People that have driven both, how do they compare?

Discussion in 'General Rideshare Forum' started by Dreamer, Oct 5, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Dreamer

Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Curious as to how they add up against each other. Ease of use? Money you make... etc?

2. Billy Colbert

Billy Colbert
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Interesting - not one reply. I too am interested in this subject. From what I have been able to glean from other sources such as ridesharingguy it is best to sign up for Lyft first to get the bonus then sign up for Uber later to get an Uber bonus for signing up as a Lyft driver. This may or may not be right. I'm just learning myself.

3. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

lyft is far better, that is just my humble opinion of course.

UberRidiculous likes this.
  4. pbracing33b

pbracing33b
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I do like Lyft better, but for me uber is typically busier, the only thing that helps Lyft is when they run promotions then my Lyft rides will go up substantially. I like that they can tip on the app, and if I had a problem rider I can rate them 3 stars and never get them again, but at the same time they can do that to us, the only problem I would have is what happens if someone has a bad night and just isn't their bright cheery self for whatever reason.

For uber I do like that if I drive more than 5 min, I do get a cancellation fee, if I have a problem rider, ie hair, puke and etc, then uber will take my side and give me a cleanup fee without jumping through too many hoops, with lyft it seems like I have to jump through a ton of hoops just to get a cancellation fee, or a cleanup fee. Lyft likes to argue with you over collecting fees, that is one thing I don't like at all with Lyft. Also with uber I can see my up to date information such as trips, with Lyft I have to wait a day to see them. Lyft riders overall seem to better, but not always. For me tips vary sometimes I get more tips with uber, and sometimes I get more tips with Lyft. So its a catch 22 with Lyft and their tips. Thats all I can think of right now.

UberRidiculous likes this.
  5. UL Driver SF

UL Driver SF
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Same company....different name. Minor differences but that's about it.

6. Flo

Flo
    Expand Collapse

United States
    What are the care rates??

7. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    Care rates? It could be said that neither uber or lyft care.

rates will depend on your location, but often lyft are willing to match rate cuts.

Lyft do offer a tip option however.

8. Billy Colbert

Billy Colbert
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Harry, now that I have been driving using both apps for a couple of weeks in San Antonio, I can rate my experience. I find that in this market Uber is much more active than Lyft. I will get an Uber ping 9 times out of 10 before a Lyft one. Tipping seems to be similar on both, only one out of about every 8-10, with maybe a slight edge to Lyft. To be fair it is hard to get a Lyft ping if I am on an Uber run most of the day. But when the Lyft app is offline, I see lots of cars waiting for a ping. Also when I drove in Austin exclusively for Lyft there was plenty of activity among the student crowd.

9. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

With PDB many drivers reported to have been very happy to drive almost exclusively in some cities. Do you qualify for PDB? How do you think the new PDB requirements are going to affect Lyft drivers?

10. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

With last month's (January 2016) Uber's ScarySaturday huge fare cuts and the subsequent rate reduction by Lyft in many cities, drivers of the basic ride options, Lyft and UberX, are faced with, if without surges, very low fare rates and meager daily earnings. Are low earnings here to stay, or will drivers' average earnings per hour go back to where they were just a year or two ago? Why are UberX and Lyft chasing low fares in a seeming race to the bottom with no end in sight?

Unfortunately, that's how the free market works. When there is a demand, the market delivers. UberX and Lyft riders seem to be intent on getting one and only one thing: the cheapest ride possible. And where the consumers demand it, the market delivers.

The mass market wants violence or sex in movies? The production companies will race to the bottom to see who can provide more violence and more sex in their products. The MPAA has to keep up with this consumer demand and market response (product offering) by continually lowering their standards of what constitute PG, R, etc.

To serve the mass market, the suppliers of the products have to identify what is the most basic, bottom-est common denominator, minimum threshold the consumers are willing to accept, and race to the bottom cutting out everything else to just meet that very minimum need, pushing prices lower and lower.

There is no doubt the cheapest ride option (by then it is probably called UberOne, UberMan, UberBasic, UberMean, or UberCheap, because there will be fierce competition to be more distinctive and descriptive of actual product offering too, to save unnecessary fat called rider advertising) will be cheaper than today, with more "unnecessary" stuff / features stripped out (nice car exterior and interior, and English-speaking skills not necessary, for example).

"Just want to get from point A to point B with the cheapest possible fare. Everything else I don't care!" Seems to be the mentality of the lowest, bottom-fishing UberX/Lyft passengers.

They are not that different from the mass market consumers in almost every other goods and services market.

11. Billy Colbert

Billy Colbert
    Expand Collapse

United States
    PDB? Are you referring to the new Uber guarantee program?

ClevelandUberRider likes this.
  12. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

The PDB is Lyft's Power Driver Bonus.

13. Billy Colbert

Billy Colbert
    Expand Collapse

United States
    OH THAT!.. Yes Lyft does a much better job of incentives for drivers. The first week I drove for Lyft in Austin to get my sign up bonus, I worked my butt off. Late nights and early mornings, making sure to work the peak hours and guaranteed hourly income hours. I put in over 50 hours to earn the PDB. Got to keep all the fares, tips and made my $500 sign up bonus. Made $1500 my first week. Don't think I would be able to do that in San Antonio. Uber's new incentive program on the other hand is a bit dicey. I'm not convinced yet it is a very good thing. It doesn't do much for me. Last week's report said I didn't qualify for any bonus most times, because I made too much in fares, or didn't meet one of the other criteria. It does not consider the hours that you were working waiting for a ride or driving back from BFE where the last ride took you to get back to civilization. Their use of the term "online" only refers to time you are actually hooked to a client. It doesn't guarantee a minimum hourly wage, only a minimum fare amount for the time you are "online" with a client to compensate for their new lower rates. I got a whopping $4 bonus for one period. So yes, if I lived and worked in Austin, I would probably prefer to drive exclusively for Lyft, but in San Antonio I don't think there is enough demand to bring home the bacon. On the other hand I made a $200 bonus with Uber for only driving 15 rides my first two days as a sign up bonus offered to Lyft drivers who sign up with Uber. So Cleveland a word to the wise, sign up with Lyft first then do Uber second if those dynamics work in your market. Oh and BTW I can provide you with referral codes that will get you whatever bonus is available. Just ask me before you do your applications.

#13 Billy Colbert, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    ClevelandUberRider likes this.
  14. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your valuable experience. Yes, I have promised a fellow driver to use his Lyft referral code. But I have no Uber code yet. When I am signing up to drive for Uber after being a Lyft driver for awhile, I can use your Iber code. (I am currently a driver for neither as yet.) Please send your Uber referral code to clevelanduberrider@gmail.com stating the email is from Billy Colbert. Thank you!

15. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

I agree that Lyft's PDB is far better than Uber's guarantees. Many Uber drivers shared in forums that during the Uber guaranteed hours they usually went over the guaranteed amount anyway, because the guarantees usually are given to those high demand hours for which Uber fears that they may not be enough drivers to meet the high demand from riders, hence they use the guarantees to lure drivers into driving during those high demand hours.

Lyft's PDB, on the other hand, means drivers get to keep everything they earn (if criteria are met). High or low earnings, drivers may keep all of it if they meet the requirements. And this is true whether it is under the old or new PDB systems. The new PDB criteria may be much harder to meet, but if met, drivers still get to keep all earnings like before. I don't see how a hardworking driver doing it full time who has experience in hustling in their own city will have too much of a hard time in meeting the new PDB requirements though. The biggest problem for some Lyft drivers in this is probably the need to upgrade their car to a newer model.

16. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

When you did or do late nights and early mornings driving, did you take a rest in between the two shifts, or were they back to back until you were / are done with the early morning shift?

Draft saved Draft deleted