Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Made a mistake, took wrong street that resulted in an extra 0.5 miles, what to do to make it up?

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by uberxdriver, May 13, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. uberxdriver

uberxdriver
    Expand Collapse

Greetings Uber Forum! As the title states I made a mistake and took the wrong street that resulted in an extra 0.5 miles, what to do to make it up to passenger?

2. Stiglitz

Stiglitz
    Expand Collapse

Apologize and move on.
    The passenger is not paying by the fraction of a mile like they would in a traditional cab.
    Mistakes happen. Don't sweat it. Your passenger probably didn't even notice.

3. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

I agree, and had the pax said something about it, I would have adjusted the fare, but since the pax didn't complain, continue to uber on.

4. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    what sort of person would complain about .5 of a mile?

5. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber, but I'll give you my $.02.
    Can't speak for where you drive but where I drive, the charged fare includes tenths (or even hundredths) of a mile as well as fractions of a minute if the total charges (base+mileage+time+safe rider) is greater than the posted minimum fare. If the passenger didn't notice it, don't worry about it. If you end up missing an exit on the highway and have to go a few miles down the road to turn around, when the trip ends, there is an option on the app to request a fare review (I've only done this 1x 18 months ago and I don't know what the menu choices are nowadays).

The worst passenger experiences I have are when the passenger doesn't give me a final destination, or even an intersection, to head to, instead says,"I'll tell you where to go. Turn left on Main Street..... right on 1st Avenue...." etc. In some cases the passenger is so absorbed in their phone activities that they're not paying attention until we fly by the next turn. One particular douchebag was doing just that (directions) and then when I passed his house, insisted that I stop the meter and turn around and go back 1/2 block to his apartment building, bitching about how I didn't know where I was going. I rated the passenger accordingly.

Uber On!
    MHD

6. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    always listen the pax, they often go the long eay

7. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    listen to @Stiglitz he's got it right

8. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

If passenger is giving you directions, by all means follow their directions. Drivers aren't supposed to argue with passengers but if passenger says,"turn left to get to [location]" and I know it's a right turn, I'll state my case and follow their instruction, no matter how wrong it is.

If the destination is "cross town," from current location and I have the choice of driving through town (lights, 30mph speed, etc.) vs. taking the highway (+55mph but more miles and similar or maybe less time), I'll ask the passenger if they have a preference. Usually they'll say "highway."

MHD

Draft saved Draft deleted