Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Need Advice

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by Anonymous, Jul 9, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Anonymous

Anonymous
    Expand Collapse

Okay so I need somebody to help me decipher the contract a little here... here's the story:

I started driving for Uber in January and I love it because I love to drive and listen to music and be nice to people. It's a great side job. I am a very good driver and my driving record was clean, and I passed the background check no problem. I drove for a couple months and it was great.

At the end of February, I fucked up royally when I was out late with a friend and got a DUI. I had had a few drinks and tried to drive the five minutes home. Big mistake. Let me be clear I have NEVER done Uber intoxicated before nor do I intend to now. I don't mix alcohol and work.

Basically I went through the whole thing, my license was suspended a month later (mid-March) and I got charged with misdemeanor DUI. I stopped driving Uber after I got the DUI for a few weeks before it was suspended, and Uber sent a notice after a few weeks (also mid-March) telling me to drive at least one ride to keep the account active. I did one just to keep the account right before my license was suspended.

I didn't drive again until late June. I took my car (2013 Jetta SE) and got new insurance on it (and filed the SR-22). I also am enrolled in and am completing the 3-month DUI program, so basically I was able to get a restricted license (allows you to drive to, from, and during the course of work and to and from the DUI programs only).

My driver account was and is still active. Uber did not send me another request to "Drive one ride to keep it active" for the entire 3 months I wasn't driving. It was just there and ready to go as always. So I called the DMV and asked them if Uber counts as work, and to my surprise they said sure it does, as long as you are on the clock (online) you are fine to legally drive Uber. So as far as the DMV/Restricted license goes, I am not breaking any laws by doing it.

So, my question is, if I were to just continue driving for Uber for the time being, am I contractually obligated to tell them I have a DUI, which would most likely get my account canceled? Or should I just continue driving until if or when they find out in the future and cancel my account in the future? And if I did eventually get kicked off, could I get in more trouble with them legally because I didn't inform them (like could they order me to pay back the money I made or something) or would I just be kicked off and that's that because it's their job to stay informed about who's driving for them? They clearly haven't run another driving record check since I was accepted, else it already would be canceled (right?).

Again, I am a good driver and a nice person, as for the DUI, I can safely say I won't ever make that mistake again, not even with one. And I love working for Uber and would like to continue doing it.

What do you guys think?

UberRidiculous likes this.
  2. Milady de Winter

Milady de Winter
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    I would ( just keep driving that is) do you have a record of who you spoke to at the dmv? If not, id probably ask them again, just so you have something to fall back on. I guess what im trying to say is that as long as you're not breaking any local road laws or restrictions, id just keep driving, because if you tell uber, they probably will deactivate you. (They're pricks like that) they may find out in the future at some stage, but until then, id uber on.
    P.s. thats just me, and ive always been a bit rebellious. Choose whats right for you. Good luck

UberRidiculous likes this.
  3. UberRidiculous

UberRidiculous
    Expand Collapse

Exactly! Uber doesn't care about any laws or rules, unless Uber is forced to care because Uber is being sued and defending itself in court.