Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Kit, May 22, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Kit

Kit
    Expand Collapse

United States
    There doesn't seem to be much in the way of training, so I have a couple of Qs for the group.

1. Front seat vs back seat - Does it matter? Either way is fine with me, but what do riders expect?
    2. Music vs no music - I hate the awkward silence. I've been keeping it on an "office appropriate" top 40ish station, low-med volume.
    3. Chatty or not? I've been engaging in casual convo, off and on.
    4. Is there a way to see the waybill before accepting the job? Like if I drive someone 30 miles east, I'd like to pick up someone headed back west. Is there a way to do this?
    5. Attire. I tend to dress in an upscale casual - is that okay?
    6. Tips or no tips - Are we allowed to accept them?

Thanks!

2. ulysses x. dryvver

ulysses x. dryvver
    Expand Collapse

The first book about Uber-X.
    www.
    Is an ebook by a driver. Makes sense.
    In defense of a true innovation.

3. ulysses x. dryvver

ulysses x. dryvver
    Expand Collapse

Uber-X driver etiquette.

• Drivers should always be prompt.
    • Drivers should be courteous, then only speak when spoken to.

• Drivers should respect the privacy of their riders.

• Drivers should welcome music requests. (The news is not music to most people's ears.) Use control of music should be fine.

• Drivers should always arrive in a clean, neat vehicle. Warm in winter; cool in summer.

• Drivers should never cancel a trip just to chase a better (“surge”) fare elsewhere.

4. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber, but I'll give you my $.02.
    1. Most Uber passengers I take hop into the back seat, some ask which seat. As long as your car (and seat) is clean, you should be OK.
    2. "Office appropriate," music is fine. It's your car so you can control the music selection and the volume.
    3. You can usually get a feel for whether the rider wants to chit-chat; don't push conversation and respect rider's right to quiet and privacy.
    4. Waybills (usually) don't have dropoff information until the ride is completed. If you drive any distance going out, all you can really do is cross your fingers.
      If you talk to your rider on the phone prior to picking them up, DO NOT ask them where they're headed (taxicab mentality). Agree with Ulysses' comment about not cancelling trip to chase a surge fare elsewhere.
    5. Upscale casual is fine. Depending on when/where you drive, you will have rowdy college kids in torn jeans, etc., to men (and women) in suits. IMO, better to overdress than too casual.
    6. Tip policy is a tough one. Riders can't add tips to the credit card and Uber states that "tipping is not required." Don't stand there with your hand out (taxicab mentality), do your best to provide service that the rider *would* want to give a tip, and if you get a tip from a rider, accept it because you earned it!
    Hope that answers your questions.
    MHD

5. ulysses x. dryvver

ulysses x. dryvver
    Expand Collapse

I agree with MHD, overall.

I would offer an alternative approach to music, however, if you are equipped correctly.
    Specifically, my 2013 Nissan Rogue has a USB port built into the bottom of the center console. I plug an Iphone5
    USB charging cable into that and leave the Iphone end hanging into the back seat area. It is popular with riders to
    charge their phones during the trip. It has actually saved several riders from extreme Iphone withdrawal.

This charging connection also gives over control of the car's audio system to the Iphone5 which is perceived as an IPOD.
    Any playlist or audio service (Spotify, Pandora) can play throug the car's speakers. Any volume that does not damage the
    speakers is ok by me. The kids love it.

PS - I have only had one cable stolen so far.

6. ulysses x. dryvver

ulysses x. dryvver
    Expand Collapse

Michael Smerconish learned about Uber-X from this driver.
    http://www.
    Read the ebook. It defends a true innovation.

7. UberPartnerDennis

UberPartnerDennis
    Expand Collapse

Getting tired of seeing that spammed on every post dude

8. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    This should help, too...

Uber best practices for safety, high ratings, and profit maximization.

•Don't even think about driving until you've purchased a commercial livery insurance policy. That'll run you about $4500 per year so you're going to be doing a lot of driving at first. But you really have no choice in the matter. Your personal insurance company is going to drop you if they learn you're driving for Uber. And the Uber contingent liability policy DOES NOT cover your medical claim or your property claim in the event you are involved in an at-fault accident.
    •Never pick up a pax with a rating lower than 4.7. (Jesus, how hard is it to be a 5-star pax? How about not being a douchebag?)
    •Never respond to a ping more than 10 minutes away. (Yes, it might be a decent fare, but the odds are against you.)
    •If you're traveling, never respond to a ping behind you.
    •When you arrive at pickup location and pax is not present, DO NOT call or text the pax. Start a stop watch and cancel at 5:01 and move on.
    •For the love of God, NEVER had out gum, candy, mints, water, etc. to paxs. There is no upside, it costs you money, and it creates more mess for you to clean up.
    •If a pax leaves something behind in your car. DO NOT make the effort to return it. If you follow Uber's rules it'll actually cost you money and time to return it. If the pax needs it back, he/she will track you down through Uber. When that happens you can negotiate an appropriate fee to return the item. It doesn't matter what the item is - wallet, phone, eyeglasses, event tickets, clothing, jewelry, etc.
    •ABC - Always Be Compensated. You're an independent contractor. Don't do anything without being paid. If you wish to run your car as a charity the folks over at Meals on Wheels would love to speak with you.

9. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Don't "beg" for a tip. On the other hand, never turn down an offer of a tip. This is western culture and you are providing a service. Tipping is absolutely expected and accepted, regardless of Uber's attempts to reverse hundreds of years of tradition and culture. Yes! Always accept the tip. It's rude and offensive not to accept it.

10. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    That cable thief was one of only 2 passengers out of the 3000 you said you wouldn't like back Was he? He / she may lift a vehicle fitting for a souvenir next time.

11. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia

1) When 1 passenger on board, ANY seat except the one directly behind you for safety sake. It's easy for a assailant to reach around, lift a seatbelt against the throat of a driver and pull back with all their weight. Just ask them to move so it's easier to chat. If they refuse ask them again claiming UBER training instructs it so. If they refuse and get nasty, put car in park handbrake on and say there is no negotiation if you wish to ride. Get ready to remove key from ignition, grab your phone and call cops as you get out.

2) good choice you make. The least offensive you can find. No harm in asking "Music, News or Talk"? Then if they say music ask "MOR, Rock, Pop or classical.

3) if you get single syllable answers to your questions, then they don't want a chat.

4) it's no destinations taxi-like dispatch. You go where you are sent. Not really Rideshare is it?

5) you look lovely Kit! (If that's you in your Avatar). Red hair, sense of style, you can't go wrong!

6) if they ask about tips remember "TAG" Tips Are Great! Tell them that and they may feel a little cheap if they don't tip once you say how great they are and how great folk who tip are.

12. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I read it. Entertaining but total horseshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted