Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 3,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

POLL: How often do Uber Drivers receive Tips?

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Dreamer, Sep 21, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

?

How often do Uber Drivers receive Tips?

1. Never

16 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. 1%-10% of the time

81 vote(s)
    68.1%
  3. 11%-20% of the time

13 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. 21%-30% of the time

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. 31%-40% of the time

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. 41%-50% of the time

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. 51%-60% of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 61%-70% of the time

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. 71%-80% of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 81%-100% of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    why should the pax tip? ypo choose to drive for low rates for a company that advises that tips are not necessary. Uber taxi the tips are included/

2. Everyknght

Everyknght
    Expand Collapse

United States
    they should TIP most people for a service unless it is included

Tracee06 likes this.
  3. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    this is what amazes me. yips should be optional for a job well done. It has always been the way that uber has not encouraged tips no matter what the rate is yet you all run around begging for extra handouts.

it would be better to drive for a reasonable rate than expect charity from pax.

Lidman and Everyknght like this.
  4. Everyknght

Everyknght
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Fuck UBER

5. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully more and more drivers will realize that uber won't be there for them when the expenses on their car start piling up, or to those who have to pay 700-800/month leasing from santander/westlake or whatever. I could name many more misfortunes that could happen but that would be waste of time, there's so many.

it's just so uber rediculous

Everyknght likes this.
  6. Everyknght

Everyknght
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I was shocked today when I actually netted after UBER put their evil hand in my pocket $199 Us dollars for 6.5 hrs

7. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    how many miles did you do to get that $199?

8. Everyknght

Everyknght
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I drove about 170 +/- miles

9. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

About tipping. I think all service industries, including TNCs, that allow tipping, should just be made by law to put a 20% tip automatically built into the bill, with the entire tip amount going to the service workers. That way, the cheapskates will not be able to avoid tipping, and let us the more generous customers pick up their slack to support the industries. I have heard so many waitresses say, yeah, some of my customers don't tip at all, some tip average amount they are supposed to, and some tip more generously, but overall, I am happy with my total tips income. That's why they continue to go to work. In other words we are subsidizing the cheapskate customers. We should make those cheapskate customers pay tips too!

Jessica Kramer, Jamgold and Tracee06 like this.
  10. Jennifer G.

Jennifer G.
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Hey Guys, I am new to Uber and I wanted to find out some more about tipping. I know Lyft has a place at the end of the ride where you can tip, but does Uber have any options? If not, cash tips are fine but I would rather not carry cash with me when I'm driving. Is there any way I can get around this?

ClevelandUberRider likes this.
  11. Chi1Abbie

Chi1Abbie
    Expand Collapse

United States
    download square on your smartapp they have a tip feature on there.

12. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

As much as I admit to the contribution they have brought to the consumers (riders), their claim of "lower fares bring in more trips which result in higher earnings for drivers" may not be intellectually honest.

There are two ways they may be weak in their intellectual arguments:

1. Driver's average per hour net fare earnings from Uber = rFx,
    where: r = percentage of gross fare belonging to drivers (80%, 75%, or 72%, depending on driver's accounts)
    F = average gross fare pax pay per trip (not including SRF)
    x = average number of trips per hour.

By lowering F, Uber is saying x will increase. The question is, will the increase in x compensate for the decrease in F?
    One should pay attention to how the above formula works. If the average fare (F) decreases by 50%, the average number of trips will have to rise by 100% to make the fare cuts (drivers') earnings-neutral!
    Similarly, if fares drop by 33%, to achieve (drivers') earnings-neutral effect, the average number of trips per hour must rise by 50%!

2. Uber has been talking about drivers' earnings, i.e., net fare that Uber pays drivers. But in reality, what counts for drivers is the net income they achieve with their Uber driving. Net Income = Net Fare from Uber - Per-Mile Car Expenses. (The discussions here are simplified by ignoring all other costs drivers incur which do not affect this discussion whether in favor or against Uber. The costs ignored include non-car related TNC business expenses such as water and mints provided to passengers, as well as car-related expenses that are fixed per year regardless of the number of miles driven, for example car registration, etc.)

Mathematically, Drivers' Net Income = rFx - yxm
    OR
    Net Income = x(rF - ym)
    where the notations from (1) above apply and:
    y = the per-mile car expense for drivers
    m = number of miles (deadhead and paid miles combined) for an average trip.

For the math majors and/or those interested in math, you can see from the above formula (which I think was probably among the many formulas used by Uber in their brainstorming sessions) that, for such a mathematical formula, as long as BOTH y and m are positive, non-zero numbers (which in reality of course they are), then for every decrease in F (average fare per trip), to achieve (drivers') Net Income neutral effect, the required percentage increase in x (average number of trips per hour) must rise by an even larger percentage than those mentioned in our discussions in (1) above.

I admire Travis as an entrepreneur. I admit that Travis is a tough businessman that drives a hard bargain against his drivers. But I don't like the fact that he completely disregards the possibility that a few of the UberDrivers were math or econ majors and the power of the Uber Forum.

13. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

Republished with some typos corrected.

14. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

That theory might work on one rate cut. But several rate cuts. I don't think so. You can only do so many rides in one hour, or any unit time.

Jamgold and Harry Flashman like this.
  15. Everyknght

Everyknght
    Expand Collapse

United States
    lees than 3% of the time , lets face it the passengers are cheap pieces of PUKE, get the FISH HOOKS out of your pockets especially Bartenders & wait persons

Jamgold and Harry Flashman like this.
  16. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    lets take it easy on the riders. after all uber offer ridiculously low fares and then drivers continue to drive for thos rates,

so who is to blame the driver who offers to do the low fares or the pax that accepts the low fare?

17. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

(1) As my first formula has shown, when Uber lowers the fare rates by 33%, to achieve earnings neutral situation, number of rides must increase by a whopping 50%.

(2) To achieve net income neutrality, a driver will have to increase number of rides by more than 50%, as my second formula shows.

Both of these scenarios are tall orders to achieve.

Which, essentially, for those cities currently with less than 90 cents per mile for UberX, only a very small number of drivers can be earning more than minimum wages after car expenses if there are no surges.

Jamgold likes this.
  18. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

On tips, it seems like it varies from city to city. But from a wide reading of different field reports sent in to drivers' forums from different parts of the country, it seems like generally Lyft pax tip better than Uber riders. It differs by cities and different day drivers drive, but it seems like the average range is 25%-50% of Lyft pax tip, and only 0%-10% of Uber riders do. And it seems from drivers' field reports that tips received by Lyft drivers fall in the range of 5%-20% of fares, while Uber drivers get tips that form only 0%-5% of their fares.

Jamgold likes this.
  19. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

TNC drivers should help promote Lyft ridership among non-TNC users as well as current Uber riders.

20. Yahac

Yahac
    Expand Collapse

United States

Draft saved Draft deleted