Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Taxes

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Chris, Feb 4, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse

For the Uber drivers out there, seeing you are like an independant contracter driving for Uber, is there any benifits you can claim on your income taxes besides your income. Like tax advantages you can claim like a small business? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

2. GTJinCT

GTJinCT
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Sorry, so late (over a year) in replying, I just joined the forum. For tax deductions, you should be able to itemize miles driven(with riders and w/o when you are Online). You are driving for work. You should be able to deduct a portion of expenses (repairs, gas, coffee) related to your Uber miles/time vs. personal miles too.

3. mblatch

mblatch
    Expand Collapse

I am going to second GTjinCT comment as I just joined the forum as well. There are definitely benefits that you can claim on your taxes besides your income. Some of these deductions include mileage, depreciation, interest on auto loan, license title and registration, gas, car maintenance, insurance, mobile phone and chargers, and even car washes. These are not the only expenses that you can deduct and there is a limit for each one of these deductions. These deductions also can change depending upon if you lease or you own your vehicle. An article that explains this very well is http://dailydrive.co/lease-vs-own-taxes/.
    I am a tax accountant by trade so feel free to reach out with any additional questions. I've also written a simple step-by-step guide to help uber drivers fill out there taxes http://dailydrive.co/how-are-drivers-taxed/. I hope this helps!

4. John H

John H
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Please check your links it was difficult to find the tax info. I gave up looking

Draft saved Draft deleted