Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Tipping with Uber??

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Ivy, Feb 8, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Ivy

Ivy
    Expand Collapse

Why is there no tipping option?!??

2. UL Driver SF

UL Driver SF
    Expand Collapse

United States
    My understanding is that from the start Uner was a cashless system. They also advertised the tip was included which was not true. Since then they have not backed off that point. Mother admitted they misled the public but still refuse to add a tipping element.

Supposedly there is a tipping option for Uner Taxi.

3. permai lindal

permai lindal
    Expand Collapse

4. UberKurtDesMoines

UberKurtDesMoines
    Expand Collapse

I've had riders ask me if they could tip me through the app. They didn't have cash and really wanted to give me something extra. I do get a lot of cash tips, but see no reason why Uber doesn't offer this option as a courtesy to both the rider and driver.

After all, TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service. Really.

Uber Downunder and Garrett like this.
  5. ulysses x. dryvver

ulysses x. dryvver
    Expand Collapse

The first book about Uber-X.
    www.
    Is an ebook by a driver. Makes sense.
    In defense of a true innovation.

I don't need no stinking tips!

6. UberKurtDesMoines

UberKurtDesMoines
    Expand Collapse

Why don't you need tips? If I deserve a tip, I have no problem taking it.

Two days ago I was dispatched to pick up an Uber rider 10 miles from where I was located. Apparently I was the closest available driver.

I had to drive through heavy rush hour traffic to get her at an office building in one of the suburbs. She needed a ride to her hotel that was literally about three blocks away. It was sprinkling and she didn't want to walk.

She apologized and felt bad for having me come so far for such a short trip and asked me if there was a way she could tip me extra to make it worth my while. I said it wasn't necessary. She gave me the last three dollars in her purse and said she'd try an electronic tip later.

I made a whopping $5 for the trip (plus her $3 tip). That's why tipping on the app should be an easy option for riders.

Uber Downunder and Ivy like this.
  7. Ivy

Ivy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your post. I also think tips should be allowed. I've only received a few tips so far but they make a big difference especially on the shorter fares where Uber takes so much. I had one passenger that said she really wanted to tip me big but didn't have any cash on her. It is not fair Uber!!!

UberKurtDesMoines likes this.
  8. michelle

michelle
    Expand Collapse

I agree there should be away to put a tip through the app.
    Customers feel bad if they want to tip but have no cash.
    I do receive tips quite often.

9. DanMiami

DanMiami
    Expand Collapse

Riders love Uber and they love to tip when they believe we go out of our way, I dont understand why Uber builds in a cashless tipping option for UberTaxi and not for an Uberx. I mean in Miami the rate is .95 cents a mile right now. $4 of which Uber takes about $1 out. So three dollars to drive someone for up to four miles? How can we make any money on that if tipping is not part of the application? I love driving for Uber but on this one thing, I believe Uber is really not listening or doesn't care.

10. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Or to insure proper service

Kelly and UberKurtDesMoines like this.
  11. Kelly

Kelly
    Expand Collapse

I really think it's about control... It's not just that they don't have a tipping option and don't talk about it, it's that they openly state to riders that tips are included in the fare... However that is meant to make sense, I don't even know.

12. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    What happened during the creation of Uber is that Travis Kalanick, we later learned, has never worked in a service type job. Ergo, he sees no value in tipping. Clearly, this is the outlook of a solid gold douchebag, but now you now why there's no tipping in the Uber system. However, I do encourage my paxs to tip with cash. And this, of course, is why Lyft is a truly superior system.

13. Kelly

Kelly
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't call him that since I've never met him or actually read anything about him. However, it is unfortunate that they don't make that change already, since I'm positive people have written in about if, and they already have the formatting from UberTaxi.

14. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I, on the other hand, have read tomes about Mr. Kalanick. I know that of which I speak. The man is ethically impaired. That's just simple fact.

15. Kelly

Kelly
    Expand Collapse

I don't see how not allowing electronic tipping is detrimental to his bottom line, though.

16. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Actually, allowing tipping would help his bottom line. More and more people are going to Lyft because they appreciate the in-app tipping feature. And as a driver I prefer Lyft for that very reason, too. Well, also, there is a much lower douchebag factor among Lyft riders than among Uber riders.

eXtreme2me2 likes this.
  17. Chi1Abbie

Chi1Abbie
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I agree. Seems like this was a similar topics on the 'other' forum that was discussed. Apparently the addys don't like to be disagreed with.

18. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

welcome kolklink!! Hopefully more and more will join us here. The good news is I got the word over there, and then just signed off. So as far as i'm concerned I didn't get the boot.

19. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Well, the thing about addys is they rarely have a good read on subjects under discussion.

20. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it was for the best to leave that forum. The admins commentaries in the Pm's were down right patronizing and condescending. It's like they don't know their head from their arse. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted