Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 3,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

To tip or not to tip drivers, that is Uber's question

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Dreamer, Feb 16, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Dreamer

Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

People do it with taxis, people do it with Lyft. Now, drivers for the ride-hailing service are petitioning Uber to allow for cashless tipping by including an in-app gratuity feature.

While some passengers surely enjoy Uber's mantra that "there is no need to tip," most drivers feel differently. Not only do a few extra dollars help with wages, drivers say, but they also appreciate being rewarded when they provide good service. Uber's top competitor, Lyft, already has a tipping feature in its app, and now thousands of drivers are clamoring for Uber to do the same.

Thoughts?

UberRidiculous and Garrett like this.
  2. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I have been driving uber for over 8 weeks now and compensation is not great. I really think that tipping is a part of this type of service. There are a lot of special requests by client riders during the trip. Therefore I don't think uber should discourage tipping or promote a no tip policy. I'm sure in the long run it would make for happier and more loyal drivers. People in my city are excited to have uber. They like it much better than the cab system. They already say it is more efficient and less expensive than taxi's, so why hold back a driver's income by saying no tipping?

UberRidiculous likes this.
  3. DodgesTheSun

DodgesTheSun
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I like how tips aren't pushed to the riders. You don't feel obligated. I think it should stay that way, because that's what kinda made uber, uber. That being said, I'm a pretty generous guy. I'll throw a few bucks to the driver for remotely longer drives or if there was any sort of wait that was my fault, etc etc. In fact i make an effort to make sure i have a few bucks with me when i ride because I rarely carry cash nowadays and there's been a few times where i really wished i coulda tipped but i simply didn't have anything to give.

4. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Thank you. I appreciate your response. When people question tipping I help them understand that it is up to them, there is a no tipping policy and it has no effect on services provided. However many riders do make requests that are over and above services offered. Also I'm not asking uber to include it in their app, I just think they should not promote no tipping or discourage tipping.

UberRidiculous and RonT like this.
  5. Ed Lerdad

Ed Lerdad
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I believe a fair amount of people think that the gratuity they selected on their payment page that applies to UberTaxi is going to all drivers. I try to educate the clients when I get the opportunity. Uber is only a few months old here in this spread out community often we are driving far for little fares it really hurts when that happens. Tipping would certainly help!

6. rich

rich
    Expand Collapse

United States

7. rich

rich
    Expand Collapse

United States
    tip the drivers!

SharonInNC and UberRidiculous like this.
  8. W. Wayne Pugh

W. Wayne Pugh
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Cheap people don't tip and they never get 5 stars either!

SharonInNC and UberRidiculous like this.
  9. SharonInNC

SharonInNC
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I'm for tipping...We're not making THAT much money, so a tip would help with food & gas. There have beeb man days I could not Uber, due to not having enough gas.

10. gvac37

gvac37
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I think there should be a tipping feature within the app. Sometimes the money is good but other times you drive far and after uber fees you're not left with much. I spent 3 hours online one day and made nothing. I'm fairly new and still learning the good spots. I'm always looking for the incentives to guarantee a certain amount an hour. Tipping would definitely motivate drivers a little more.

11. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    What percentage do you expect a tip to be on an uber fare?

12. UberRidiculous

UberRidiculous
    Expand Collapse

Hi @Harry Flashman I think tipping would vary depending on the fare, and not necessarily by percentage. I think a minimum on any ride would be a couple bucks. If every position had fair wages or in this case, fair fares, then no one would have to worrry about tipping.

13. DBuberGuy

DBuberGuy
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Sure passengers should tip, just like they would a cab driver

But drivers shouldn't ding pax for not tipping, since Uber discourages the pax to tip

14. CShatesLyft

CShatesLyft
    Expand Collapse

One of my biggest pet peeves about Uber is the fact that customers do not have the option to give Partners a tip if he/she elects to utilize that process. It's the fact that the customer does not have a choice! Let the customer decide if they want to reward the Partner for an excellent experience. Wny deprive us of missed revenue potential because the tip option is not available? It looks very insensitive on the part of Leadership and I feel that a good explanation has not been given to the Uber Partners.

15. Instyle

Instyle
    Expand Collapse

In the OZ market with UberX it's becoming more common to tip as Australians catch onto to the low income drivers actually take after Taxes, GST, Uber Commission, Water, Confectionary and the BIG one being vehicle expenses from an already extremely low fare.

Tipping maintains your passenger rating and gives a morale boost for the driver to continue who can often feel under appreciated

16. ClevelandUberRider

ClevelandUberRider
    Expand Collapse

A 15% or 20% "livable wage" surcharge should be automatically imposed on all bills in the service industries such TNC driving, restaurant dining, fast food restaurant dining, hairstyling, etc. These 15% or 20% surcharge should then be automatically paid into employees' or private contractors' earnings (W-2 or 1099) without the employers touching it.

Lawmakers should make laws to make this livable wage a reality. People won't be able to argue against this law saying tips should be voluntary, because under this proposal, tips are still voluntary, as this law enforces only "livable wage", not tips. Customers will continue to tip as usual either out of habit or out of their compassion for the hardworking men and women in our nation's service industries.

These livable wage percentage charged as a percentage on the bill and given to the hardworking front line service providers will also ensure that front line workers are paid (earn) more than the passive owners of those businesses. For example, most restaurants earn no more than 20% of the top line sales revenue in profits (national fast food chains earn less than 10% of their sales, with mom and pop restaurants typically enjoying higher profit margins). If workers are guaranteed a 15% or 20% earnings on the sales, then livable wages for all will be a reality, as service workers are usually the most underpaid workers in our economy.

jholmes23 likes this.
  17. AdsUber

AdsUber
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I may have a solution for Uber drivers who want to earn more while still doing the job they want. Check it out!
    Check out AdsUber Help a driver and help your business grow! on #indiegogo!
    http://igg.me/at/AdsUber

Draft saved Draft deleted