Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 3,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Uber charged me a cancellation fee for the driver cancelling?!?!

Discussion in 'Uber Riders Forum' started by uberupset, May 31, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. uberupset

uberupset
    Expand Collapse

It looks like I was charged a cancellation fee by Uber even though I didn’t cancel the ride but the driver did! Over 5 minutes wait they can charge you $5!!!

JaxBeachDriver likes this.
  2. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber, but I'll give you my $.02.

Drivers are "supposed," to wait 5 minutes, if the passenger doesn't show up then the driver can cancel the ride as a "Rider no show." The first cancel for any reason is (usually) free. If the driver cancels less than 5 minutes after accepting a trip request (or the rider cancels within that initial 5 minute window), the cancellation is (usually) free.

When a rider requests a ride, the system notifies the rider via text, " [driver] will be there in 4 minutes!" When the driver arrives at the pickup point, he/she taps a button on the driver app, which sends a text to the rider, "Your UBER has arrived!" In my driving experience, that time estimate is accurate up to a minute either way, depending on traffic, weather, etc. Riders should be ready to go and looking for the car within that time period.

When I get to a pickup location and click "arrived" on the driver app and I don't see anyone waiting for me, I will usually call the rider within 1-2 minutes and let them know I am there and verify the pickup address with the rider. Usually the rider will say they're just paying their bar tab or finding their coat and will be out shortly, although sometimes I get no answer when I call. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, the GPS addresses are sometimes next door, across the street, over one street, or (rarely) nowhere near where the rider is located, so my calling the rider helps to confirm their location. If the pickup address is wrong (but close to where I'm stopped), I'll simply move to the correct location and my 5 minutes starts then. If the listed address is not even close to where I am, I'll cancel the trip with "wrong address shown," which doesn't charge the rider. If I don't communicate with the rider, after 5-6 minutes of waiting, I cancel the ride as, "rider no show," which may result in you being charged $5.00.

Keep in mind:
    1. Uber is designed as an "on demand," service, meaning that you shouldn't request the ride until you are ready to get in the car and go. That's why riders can't schedule a pickup at a specific time.
    2. Riders can text or call the driver through the rider app if the car has arrived but you're not quite ready, still paying the restaurant bill, etc., or if there is a problem with the pickup address. Communicating with the driver goes a long way in keeping the driver, and you, the rider, happy.
    3. In my city, the big selling point with Uber is that riders know where the driver is and when they're at your location. Taxicab dispatchers may say, "10 minutes" but 1 hour later, you're still waiting on the cab to show up. As an Uber driver, I hear this complaint about taxicabs a lot!
    4. I don't know how long taxis will wait for you at a pickup location, but if the day (or night) is busy, I will bet that cabs won't wait more than a couple of minutes before moving on.
    Bottom line:
    • Be ready to travel when you request your ride through the app.
    • Look for your car on your street (possibly across the street or perhaps a few doors down from your location).
    • Look at the rider app and make sure the pin is located where you are located. DON'T request a ride and start walking; the system doesn't follow you down the street and ultimately the car is going to arrive at your original address and not where you're located after walking a couple blocks away.
    • If the car has arrived and you can't find the car, CALL THE DRIVER. As a driver with bluetooth (aka hands free) I would rather talk to a rider than text back and forth.
    Lots of response for only $.02, lol

Good luck and Uber On!
    MHD

#2 MileHighDriver, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I'm an Uber driver. I will always wait 5 minutes, but then I will cancel on you and collect my fee. I will not call when I arrive and I will not text when I arrive. But I will hit the ARRIVE button. You can see on your phone exactly where I am and when I'll arrive. If you can't be ready when I arrive, that's on you. And if you can't be ready, then please do not order your ride until you are ready to go. The Uber driver's time is far more valuable than yours. Please don't waste his/her time. In my market the cancellation fee is $8. It should really be $10 or $12.

No need to thank me.

I hope this helps you.

Instyle likes this.
  4. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

$8 wow. That's better then some of the fares.

5. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Yes, it is. That's why I wait 5, then roll. My time is far more valuable than the pax's, so I gotta move on.

6. KGB7

KGB7
    Expand Collapse

If you not standing on the curb when i arrive, then i will collect my $5 and move on to PAX who respect my time.

I dont have time to wait for you while you doing your hair and sexting your friends on tinder.

Get with the program.

JaxBeachDriver likes this.
  7. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    So you dont wait for 5 minutes, are you sure you are not a taxi driver?

MileHighDriver likes this.
  8. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

that is one thing I wish the cab companies would adapt too. I wouldn't mind driving around the block, wait 5 min, collect $8 fee. Not bad.

9. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Let's come to an agreement, you don't waste our time, fuel and we are out out vehicle for no reason. Be where you say you will be after requesting an on demand service and we will pick you up.

If you're not outside with your shoes and socks on ready to hop in then I'm sorry, five minutes that's all you deserve and kiss your five dollars goodbye

MNK_CAYENNE and MileHighDriver like this.
  10. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE on my earlier post....
    I read on the rider "help" screens that the passenger will be charged cancellation fee if the ride is cancelled after 5 minutes has elapsed from driver accepting the trip. No statement that, "...your first cancel is free." Is that correct in all cases where rider is a no-show or simply cancels? I don't know.
    MHD

11. JaxBeachDriver

JaxBeachDriver
    Expand Collapse

Time is money. The driver drove to you, waited at least 5 minutes. In that time, s/he could have picked someone else up and made money. You cost him/her more than $5. Next time call when you're ready.

MileHighDriver and UberHammer like this.
  12. UberusMaximus

UberusMaximus
    Expand Collapse

I have been known to wait longer if there is a place to park, I wait less if I'm in the middle of a crowded street. I will call often after a couple minutes to verify, app is wrong a lot. If I know it to be a crowded area, I will call before I get there to verify location. I have low tolerance for those who don't answer their phones. I don't answer texts while driving either.

13. MNK_CAYENNE

MNK_CAYENNE
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I always send a text to the rider letting them know my approximate eta along with my name, make/model/color of my car and that my flashers will be on when I arrive. If they're non responsive to that text and not around when I get there, I text one more time, then after 5 minutes I bail.

14. Desert Driver

Desert Driver
    Expand Collapse

United States
    As contracted labor for Uber, we are well advised to keep two facts in mind.
    1) No one's time is more valuable than our own. No one's!
    2) Never forget who is doing who the favor in this arrangement. The rider needs you far more than you need the rider.

Bottom Line: Wait 300 seconds, then roll.

15. Julian Jean

Julian Jean
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I got charged 5 dollars on an Uber ride when It was supposed to be a free ride, I was on time for my ride, so I don't know why I am getting charged?

16. Instyle

Instyle
    Expand Collapse

What was the reason for the free ride? If you had existing rider credit you can choose in app which payment method you'll use whether to apply the free credit or not.

17. Julian Jean

Julian Jean
    Expand Collapse

United States
    it was a free promotion ride for just starting, even on the recipt it said 0 dollars.

18. Calvin Frit

Calvin Frit
    Expand Collapse

Better check the fine print for taking a free ride. For the cancellation, you can say that the app crashes or you lost connection or your phone went off with the app

19. Daniel2928

Daniel2928
    Expand Collapse

Canada
    I'm kind of disappointed in the usefulness of the forum here.
    I've read plenty of bad reviews and stories of Uber drivers not showing up or asking the rider to cancel because the driver can not make it which results in the rider being charged for nothing.

I understand full well the preciousness of your time, but that's just unacceptable. People are inherently busy and time, regardless of the one perceiving it, is precious. Almost all the replies seem to be from drivers reciting their practices and shaming the OP as though they themselves had been the driver in that circumstance; it's like objectivity does not exist here in any form.

The bottom line being, no real help was offered, not inquires into the situation made, just shaming.

Shame on you all for literally offering zero help.
    At least MileHighDriver offered details regarding policy.

20. Instyle

Instyle
    Expand Collapse

Around the world Uber drivers have their rates cut continuously without consultation by Uber, what do you think reduced pay does to the service? The exact things you've just noted!

I attempted to ask the OP for further info and hinted at a possible reason for the charge.

I'm puzzled why you blame the actual forum, the tension between passengers and drivers is created solely by Uber with ridiculous fare cuts and a condescending rating system thats heavily flawed.

Draft saved Draft deleted