Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Uber charged me a cancellation fee for the driver cancelling?!?!

Discussion in 'Uber Riders Forum' started by uberupset, May 31, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. JonniSmith

JonniSmith
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Learn to drop your pin correctly and be ready to roll.... Time is money . I play by the rules and the rules say wait 5 minutes. My Saturday: kinda got fed up with people not knowing where they drop their pin, not being ready or not showing because they got a cheaper fare when surge expired. We are not your personal chaffuers. And tip once in a while!!!! Yes that's 5 cancels and one person who knew what they were doing.)
    2016-06-27 09_59_03-Capture.png

2. LunaLunita

LunaLunita
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Wait sorry I'm a little late to the forum but...
    I'm new to using uber, tonight was my second time ever taking an uber(and the first taking one by myself) and I requested an uber, typed in the address of the building I was in front of, and waited. I got connected with a guy and I waited a while for him to show up. I saw that his little car in my map was stopped on a different street than my location, and then he just cancelled on me. I was annoyed and requested someone else using the same address and he showed up no problem right in front of me. I get home and check my bank statements and it turns out the first driver charged me 7$ for cancelling on me?? I don't think I was in the wrong at all; the last time I took an uber was with my sister and our driver then called her to let her know he had arrived and asked for us to walk down the block a bit because traffic was too much; so based on past experience I thought my driver tonight would do the same, should something similar happen.
    I read some of the comments from the uber drivers here and they seem to not bother calling or texting, and I think that is a poor way to do your job; you assume the person isn't ready but maybe you're just the one in the wrong. At least call to let your requester know where you are and if they (your customer) aren't there in time then that's when it's okay to leave.

3. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, some drivers will charge a cancellation (rider no-show) without attempting to contact the rider. I suggest that if the app shows the driver someplace (a block or two off) different than where you are, you can call the driver via the rider app and let him/her know you're in front of specific address or restaurant/bar/etc.

$.02
    MHD

4. Seng Li

Seng Li
    Expand Collapse

A driver did this to me, after waiting less than 3 minutes. I was charged $5. I spoke to uber and they told me to f* off. So i called my credit card company, did a chargeback and got my money back.

Tayna95 likes this.
  5. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad that worked out for you. additionally I'm so sorry to hear that whomever you spoke with at Uber gave you that type of response. That certainly wasn't called for and I'm reasonably certain that the higher-ups within Uber would not be thrilled to know that's how you were treated.

On a related note (and I don't know the exact policy where you are located), the cancellation fee where I drive is that there is a 5-minute grace period from when the driver accepts the ride request where the rider or the driver can cancel a ride request and no fee is charged regardless of whether the driver arrived at the pickup location. With UberPOOL, the window is actually 2 minutes from when the driver arrives at the pickup location; after 2 minutes the driver can cancel and collect the fee.

Personally, my practice is this:
    • If I arrive at a pickup location and the rider doesn't contact me or come to the car within one minute, I will call the rider. If the call goes to voice mail I will text. If I still get no response, then I will wait another 1-2 minutes (which usually takes me to the 5-10 minute window from the original ride acceptance) and then cancel as "Rider no-show." Sometimes I get the fee, sometimes I don't.
    • If the pickup address is wrong (rider GPS error or rider stupidity) and the address is close, I'll drive to wherever the rider is. If the address isn't even close, I'll cancel as a bad address and move on, which means I usually don't get paid for those situations.
    • If the address is more than 10 minutes away, I'll call the rider and confirm the location and advise the rider of my ETA and give them the opportunity to cancel without charge if I'm too far away. This helps me avoid driving a long distance (usually "out of the way,") and having the rider cancel before they are charged.
    One final comment: if you, the rider, sees that the driver is not where you are based on the map in the rider app, you can AND SHOULD text or call the driver and tell him exactly where you are.

Again, my $.02
    MHD

6. Tayna95

Tayna95
    Expand Collapse

United States
    Uber did this to us TWICE the day my child was born and I was coming home from the hospital! Finally came on the 3rd request, same guy, and he was MEAN about it all. I waited an hour wiht a nurse who was pissed at me for my ride taking so long. Really bad experience. There should be some kind of rules uber drivers must follow... $20 to go one mile is pretty sad.

7. Tayna95

Tayna95
    Expand Collapse

United States
    How does one call or text the driver though?

8. Uber_Rat

Uber_Rat
    Expand Collapse

You can contact the driver through the app. The driver can contact the rider the same way.

Riders can also track the location of their driver through the app. Often, a driver may be at the wrong door for a large location (mall, hospital, etc.) because the driver only has the address in the app. If there is a specific place that the driver should be looking for a rider, the rider should text or call that information into the driver.

9. Tayna95

Tayna95
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I have never been able to contact the drive through the app...

I can track them on the map though.

How come it says that the driver already picked me up and that we are on our way to the destination, long before they ever arrives?

10. Uber_Rat

Uber_Rat
    Expand Collapse

That means the driver has started the trip before they have arrived. Cancel the ride and report it promptly.

Draft saved Draft deleted