Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Uber Drivers Nabbed In LAPD Sting Call Their Arrests Entrapment

Discussion in 'Los Angeles' started by Dreamer, Jul 13, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Dreamer

Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Three drivers with Uber are speaking out after they were arrested by the Los Angeles Police Department in an undercover sting operation.

In an exclusive interview with CBS2’s Erica Nochlin, Roy Freeman, Michael Chadwick and Sid Lomeli say the way they were targeted was nothing short of entrapment. And they say it might scare new Uber drivers away.

All three of these drivers believe the “U” Uber logo in their windshield made them a target during what was supposed to be a typical Friday night on the job in Downtown L.A.

Each of the men said they were flagged down by a woman on the side of the road who was looking for a ride. The drivers explained they stopped to pick the customer up as they thought she could use the app right then and there if they pulled over.

More..

2. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

Russell, where ever he might be, must be having a field day reading this. I wonder if one of the three pax is LAndreas.

3. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    last I heard Russell was comfortably settled in Sydney, but there was a rumor he was going on tour

Lidman likes this.
  4. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

In all fairness to uber (I rarely cut them any slack), uberers shouldn't be accepting hails/flags if they aren't allowed. I have to admit though these type of sting operations are a bit over done. I felt the woman had no business trying to be that persuasive.

UberRidiculous likes this.
  5. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    but should those drivers have stopped for her in the first place?

UberRidiculous likes this.
  6. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    but should those drivers have stopped for her in the first place?

7. Lidman

Lidman
    Expand Collapse

If there were mitigating circumstances perhaps.

8. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber (and no, I am not an employee of Uber or "plant," on this or any other forum, and other than a contractor/driver and occasional passenger/customer, I have absolutely no affiliation with Uber) but here's my $.02....
    I read the first paragraph and I thought the drivers were arrested for soliciting a prostitute.

If someone asks if I can take them somewhere, I state that they have to request the ride through the app. Period. No exceptions. On a few occasions, while the potential rider is downloading the app and trying to sign up, I get another request so that ends that debate.

A local news crew did an undercover piece a few months ago about UberBlack and SUV drivers agreeing to take someone a distance of 7-8 blocks and the driver agreeing to accept cash payment rather than through the app. If I remember correctly, about 1/2 of the drivers approached agreed to take the (undercover reporter) passenger in exchange for cash. Local Uber spokesman stated "no tolerance," for that kind of action by drivers and the regulatory agency slapped a $13,000 fine on the driver, which was cut in half if the driver could produce adequate insurance when not "on an Uber trip."

Is it a crime to pick someone up and take them whereever they want if there is no money (or goods or "services," wink wink) exchanged for the ride? Inquiring minds want to know....
    $.02
    MHD