Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Uber fee is 30% of UberX fare

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Dreamer, Apr 19, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Dreamer

Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I was looking at my pay statement recently and noticed that Uber is collection 30% of the UberX fare. Is that the right amount?

2. rave

rave
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I've not seen anything but 20pc

3. UberKurtDesMoines

UberKurtDesMoines
    Expand Collapse

My understanding is that they take 20%

4. cjp

cjp
    Expand Collapse

Yeah they keep more. 20% is a lie.

5. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

United States
    it appears to be 20% but they do have some funky ways of posting numbers and spreadsheets.

MileHighDriver likes this.
  6. Kelly

Kelly
    Expand Collapse

The fee you see at the end of your ride is what the client pays. You subtract $1 (this is the extra dollar to pay for insurance that does not come from the trip algorithm), and you then receive 80% of that. UberXL takes 28% of that amount. I have also heard rumors of Uber changing their policy to take more, but nothing official.

7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

United States
    I add my total gross fares at the end of a shift and subtract 20%. That's what comes to me in my bank account. Unless they have a secret way of scalping me, it appears to be correct. When fares go well over 100 dollars that 20% hurts. You total 170 but get 136. But That Is 20%.

8. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber, but I'll give you my $.02.
    If you're an UberX driver and you factor in the "Safe Rider" fee, the amount Uber "withholds," is more than 20%. A $4 minimum fare in my city pays me $2.40 (Uber keeps 40%). $100 in fares with 10 trips ($100-$10=$90) pays me $72 (Uber keeps 28% of total charges). As far as I know, Uber Black/SUV doesn't have the "Safe Rider" fee so Uber would normally only keep 20% (28% SUV)

#8 MileHighDriver, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  9. Kelly

Kelly
    Expand Collapse

Garrett: Yes. If you add your gross fares from the website, then you will get 20% of that.

If you are like me, however, and cannot access the portal through your phone, I need to keep track manually while I drive, if I am remotely interested in being successful. The formula is literally this simple:

UberXNet=0.8(RiderFee-$1)
    UberXLNet=.72(RiderFee-$1)

I do not know what the other tiers rate, since I have no friends that do it.

10. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber, but I'll give you my $.02.

I maintain a manual log of every trip I make, with start/end mileage, start/end time and revenue that shows up on the driver app at the end of the trip. At the end of the day, I add up all the fares, subtract $1 for each completed ride and then take 80% of that figure becomes my (expected) pay for the day.

Cancellations fees, if charged, are not subject to the $1 safe rider fee so I get paid $4 for every $5 cancel fee charged to the customer (I only drive UberX).

Other charges that show up on the driver app include toll charges (which are paid to driver @ 100% of what is charged), airport pickup/dropoff fees (charged to the customer and NOT paid to the driver). I'm sure there are more but those are the only two things I see in my city.

Speaking of customer charges, what we see on the app at the end of the trip is what the customer is charged unless the customer has a promo code or discount in place, in which case the customer's email receipt takes into account the discount or code in place for the rider. Drivers don't lose money because the customer has a promo credit.

#10 MileHighDriver, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  11. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    image.jpg

These are a small sample of UBER Black job payment details. Great rates you may say - but not so.

I've been in the ground transport business longer than most sane folk

Now I KNOW that if all I had was those jobs at those rates I would eventually go broke. It would be a slow painful process, but those rates are unsustainable. Having private clients to underwrite my shifts allows the lower paying Uber work to increase the gross at the cost of a higher average. That is an ok outcome.

I encourage ALL UBERX drivers to keep looking for alternative work, give yourselves "headroom" in your lives so you don't miss opportunities elsewhere.

Pick the eyes out of the busy hours, work them hard when the work flows but ALWAYS "know when to fold 'em" as Kenny Rogers would say.

Unless you are productively engaged whilst waiting for the next ping (working on other stuff/study/paid surveys/job applications etc) on your laptop don't hang out like an addicted gambler thinking that the next ping will be the jackpot.

The measly amount that you take with UBERX is ok as it adds to your gross with other hopefully better paying stuff you do. But do it full time and it will grind you and your car down, not leaving much of two very inportant assets you own no good for much else.

That's my 2c, garnered from years in this game

12. ulysses x. dryvver

ulysses x. dryvver
    Expand Collapse

my last Uber-X pay was 79.99 percent of fares collected.

13. Uber Downunder

Uber Downunder
    Expand Collapse

Australia
    Variable Commissions huh? First I heard of this

Draft saved Draft deleted