Welcome to the Uber Forum!

Welcome to one of the best resources on Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)! Uber Forum is an independent and unbiased resource to discuss Uber, Lyft, Postmates, Instacart, Favor, Deliv, DoorDash and more! Uber Forum has over 4,000+ members and 100,000+ posts! Please join the Uber Forum community by signing up today! Registration is FREE and will enable you to post messages. We can't wait to see you online! :)

Uber should be suspended in California and fined $7.3 million, judge says

Discussion in 'Uber Drivers Forum' started by Harry Flashman, Jul 16, 2015.

Uber Driver Promo Code | Lyft Driver Promo Code

1. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
  2. MileHighDriver

MileHighDriver
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak "officially" for Uber, nor is this forum authorized by Uber (and no, I am not an employee of Uber or "plant," on this or any other forum, and other than a contractor/driver and occasional passenger/customer, I have absolutely no affiliation with Uber) but here's my $.02....

Quoting from the LATimes article cited above:

We will appeal the decision as Uber has already provided substantial amounts of data to the California Public Utilities Commission, information we have provided elsewhere with no complaints,” spokeswoman Eva Behrend said. “Going further risks compromising the privacy of individual riders as well as driver-partners.” (emphasis added by me).
    1. Me wonders what information Uber has provided to CPUC and elsewhere, "with no complaints."
    2. Me also wonders whether Uber is *that* concerned about rider and partner privacy, based on recent TOS/Privacy policy updates talked about here and elsewhere.
    3. Me wonders why, with my college degree, these three statements all start with, "Me,"?
    As far as the article's topic, if Uber, ostensibly a technology company, is providing a product (software) and service that is used in a regulated industry, then Uber should play by the rules established for the regulated industry. I hope Uber's response is not mandating that its driver partners (contractors) retain and provide this type of information to the CPUC.

Uber's legal challenge may be in the courts for some time and the only ones getting rich due to litigation like this are the lawyers. (feel free to ask me via PM about my attitude concerning lawyers)

Final thought: legislating that Uber's service in California be suspended or terminated would be akin to the Chinese government telling it's citizens that they, "...cannot own, possess, sell or be involved in the manufacture of fireworks."

(for all I know, maybe the Chinese have that law in place... dunno)

$.02
    MHD

3. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Australia
    it appears that there are conditions that Uber are required to provide a certain type of information to be permitted to operate yet Uber seem to think they can provide whatever they want and be allowed to do whatever they want.

They must be made to conform and if they do not then uber must be suspended or terminated from operating. Laws and regulations are in place for a reason and if we do not comply anarchy will prevail

Lidman and MileHighDriver like this.
  4. UberusMaximus

UberusMaximus
    Expand Collapse

Weird how that group fights hard to not be singled out, wants info on being singled out.
    How would that go down?
    Sure your animal can come, but I need your name to report.
    Sounds fishy (no offense to fish)

MileHighDriver and Lidman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted